Thursday 11 October 2007

My first attempt at blogging...

‘As technology advances, it reverses the characteristics of every situation again and again. The age of automation is going to be the age of "do it yourself”’ (McLuhan. 1957/ in McLuhan and Zingrone. 1997: 283).

As this is my first attempt at blogging I have chosen to start with the above quote by Marshall McLuhan, which I believe perfectly sums up the practice of blogging.

Although I never hesitate to debate my views face to face, I have never before considered starting a blog. The reason is probably that I assumed no-one would actually care to read it, thus rendering it insignificant. I also predominantly rely on print and broadcasting media (or credible websites such as bbc.co.uk or newstatesman.com), for news and information. I realise I might show myself conservative in my attitude to new media but I’m expecting this course to challenge this way of thinking.

So far I’m intending to use this blog for the sole purpose of my individual assignment but, who knows, I might brim over with enthusiasm for blogging and continue even after the course is finished.

As for my expectations, I’ve anticipated the module to be more technologically charged. As I would describe my technological knowledge as basic, however, I am not at all disappointed. Whilst I have created a computer game upon completion of a computer-programming course in Delphi language at school about ten years ago, I have recently become less technologically active. I hope the module will reawaken my interest in new media and enable me to explore the different possibilities they offer.

Although I found it difficult to make a decision in regards to which topic I’d like to cover last Monday, I’m excited about the prospect of working in groups. My decision making skills are certainly one area that I’d like to improve. Having worked in groups before, I’m also aware of the importance of time-management and communication within the group. It is still early stages though and I’m sure I’ll get back to this point later.

The group project will undoubtedly be interesting, especially since I have never worked with Elom, Karl, or Neng before. I’m also looking forward to making sense of the group work by considering both Meredith Belbin
and Bruce W. Tuckman’s ideas on group psychology, as well as becoming more technologically savvy by playing around with wiki. Rheingold’s The Virtual Community: Finding Connection in a Computerised World may also be worth a look in regards to our chosen theme.

Reflecting on some of the issues raised in class on Monday, one particular concern caught my attention: the inequalities in terms of access to the Internet between the developed and the developing world. This brings me back to McLuhan and his concept of a ‘global village’. One might argue that through the emergence of the Internet and the World Wide Web, McLuhan’s concept (or anticipation) of a ‘global village’, in which
‘we have extended our central nervous system itself in a global embrace, abolishing both space and time as far as our planet is concerned’ (McLuhan cited in Harvey. 1990: 293),
has been realized. As the map below indicates however, this ‘global village’ is predominantly occupied by people from the developed world.



This global digital divide
and its consequences is certainly something I’d like to look into in more detail. I will here draw this lengthy and hopefully not too tedious first entry to a close and leave some space for thought.


Essential McLuhan (1997) ed by McLuhan, E. and Zingrone, F. Routledge.

Harvey, D. (1990) The Condition of Postmodernity. Blackwell: Cambridge MA and Oxford UK.

No comments: